Containing textual records, architectural drawings, presentation boards, project files, this collection emphasizes desert-sensitive design and the development and evolution of midcentury and modern architecture in the Southwest.
Albert Chase McArthur (1881–1951) studied with Frank Lloyd Wright between 1907 and 1909, and designed the Arizona Biltmore Hotel using textile block-slab construction to conform to the surrounding desert environment. The collection consists of architectural drawings, textual records and photographs.
An early advocate of energy-efficient design, Blaine Drake (1911–1993) established his own architectural practice in Phoenix in 1945. He designed approximately 200 projects, including residences, office buildings, medical facilities and churches. This collection includes architectural drawings as well as textual records and photographs.
William P. Bruder (1946– ) studied under prominent architects Gunnar Birkerts and Paolo Soleri before opening his own studio in New River, Arizona, in 1974. A prolific architect and designer, best known for the Burton Barr Phoenix Central Library, Bruder considered user needs and integrated natural materials into his work.
- ASU College of Architecture and Environmental Design Collection
- Beadle, Alfred Newman 1927-1998
- Benedict Visual Literacy Collection
- Bruder, William P. 1946-
- Drake, Blaine 1911-1993
- CAED Scrapbooks Collection
- Conrow, Jane
- Elmore, James 1917-2007
- Fuller, R. Buckminster 1895-1983
- Gonzales, Bennie 1924-2008
- Goodwin, Kemper (1906-1997) and Michael (1939-2011)
- Kossak, K. J. 1922-2008
- McArthur, Albert Chase 1881-1951
- Metropolitan Canal Alliance
- Olgyay, Victor 1910-1970
- Osmon, Fred Linn 1932-
- Phoenix General Plan 1985-2000
- Phoenix Municipal Government Center Design Competition
- Schweikher, Paul 1903-1997
- Straub, Calvin 1920-1998
- Schreiber, Arthur Henry 1914-1999
- Tempe Rio Salado Project Collection
- Valley National Bank Drawings Collection
- Whiffen, Marcus 1916-2002
- Young Junior, Martin Ray 1916-1999
- Frank Lloyd Wright Ephemera Collection
- Litchfield Park
- Solar Energy Collections
- Collections in progress
Access the collection
To view materials in this collection, please make an appointment at least five business days prior to your visit by contacting Ask an Archivist or calling (480) 965-4932.
Appointments are available Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Special Collections Reading Room at the Design Library on the Tempe campus.
Note: All library reading rooms are currently closed as part of the ASU Library’s COVID-19 response. Ask an Archivist is available Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m., for reference assistance regarding collection materials.