Now a modern planned community built on the village model, Litchfield Park began as an agricultural company town built by Southwest Cotton Company in 1916. A subsidiary of Goodyear Tire and Rubber, Southwest Cotton Company was renamed Goodyear Farms in 1943. The town served as company headquarters for several decades. Between 1916 and 1952, the town was home to many of Goodyear Farms executives and workers. In 1966, a development plan was commissioned from Victor Gruen Associates of Los Angeles, California, marking the shift from an agricultural company town to a modern master-planned community. The "new town" of Litchfield Park actively sought to attract residents from outside the Goodyear family. Goodyear Tire and Rubber remained associated with the town until 1986, when SunCor Development Company acquired Goodyear Farms interests. The Litchfield Park Collection is an important resource for the study of architecture, planning, and community. The collection contains approximately 220 linear feet of textual records and over 3000 architectural drawings and photographs.
Click here to view the online organizational scheme.
Click here to view collection finding aid (pdf)