Arthur Henry Schreiber (1914-1999) studied architecture at the Armour Institute and established a firm in Chicago with his twin brother Charles. He relocated to the Phoenix area in 1946 and three years later Charles and Arthur Schreiber formed their own firm in Phoenix.
Arthur and Charles Schreiber's business partnership emphasized each person’s strengths. Arthur was responsible for conception and implementation of all architectural design and Charles focused on building and construction supervision. The Schreibers worked with developer Del Webb Sun City projects in Arizona, Texas, and Florida.
In the Phoenix area Arthur Schreiber designed homes in the many new tract housing developments throughout the rapidly growing Phoenix area in the 1950s and 1960s. In addition to designing for Del Webb, Arthur and Charles worked for major developers and construction companies that included Trailor-Murdock, Cavalier Homes, E.L. Farmer, Erwin Brothers, Del Monte Development, Crescent Builders, Rosing Brothers, and Fleetwood Homes. They were also innovators in bringing townhouses to the area, designing the 40-unit Williamsburg Square.
The brothers' business partnership ended in the early 1970s but Arthur continued to practice architecture. The Schreibers were awarded the title of Fellow in the Society of American Registered Architects.
The collection consists of architectural drawings, renderings, photographs as well as professional files. Of particular note is a significant collection of brochures and publicity information from the various developers in the Phoenix area, such as Del Webb, Erwin Brothers, Allied Construction, and Pacemaker.
Click here to view collection finding aid (PDF)