The Fletcher Library Gallery space welcomes the opportunity to provide a platform for ASU's student artists, faculty reserachers, and emerging young scholars and artists of our community. The gallery exhibit goals are to educate, enlighten and enrich by encouraging cross-campus and interdisciplinary student interaction as well as fostering greater social engagement in our community. Successful exhibits showcase a range of concepts, styles, media, and artist diversity in order to spark critical thinking about our society, and to explore how we experience our world and our place in it.
The Fletcher Library offers temporary space appropriate for small or large 2D hanging exhibits. The 2nd and 3rd floors are equipped with special lighting and track rods. This display system will accommodate framed, matted, and mounted works of many sizes. No hanging display space is available on the first floor. The library is only responsible for providing the space, hanging display rods, and training on the use of the display system.
Two locked glass display cases are available for use on the 2nd floor. (Size of each: 30" W x 66" L x 8.5" D). On Exhibit Request Form, Horizontal Case 1 and 2.
Four locked glass display cases are available for use on the 2nd and 3rd floors (2 cases on each floor). Size of each: 64" H x 35" W x 14" D and 3-4 adjustable shelves. On Exhibit Request Form, Vertical Case 1, 2, 3, and 4.
The library provides five pedestals, 2 and 3 feet in height, which can be used for freestanding artwork. (Please see notes about liaibility). On Exhibit Request Form, Pedestals.
Exhibit information along with digital images will be added to the ASU Library web site, the Campus Events webpage, and the campus student newspaper at our discretion.
While exhibitors may request a specific space, aproved exhibits will be placed in the most suitable and available space.
- All current ASU students and faculty may submit exhibit proposals.
- All non-ASU community exhibit proposals must be sponsored by an official organization of ASU West or Arizona State University.
- Exhibitors must fill out the Exhibit Proposal Form
- Exhibit proposals are reviewed and approved by the Library Gallery Coordinator.
- Exhibits are booked on a first-come basis and should be requested well in advance of the desired exhibit date. If the exhibitor cannot meet the schedule agreed upon, the Library Gallery Coordinator should be notified immediately.
Installation and dismounting
- The requesting exhibitor and/or their representative will assume full responsibility in planning and arranging the installation and dismounting of the exhibit in compliance with the scheduled time period.
- The exhibitor must work with the sponsoring organization in setting up all exhibit needs. The exhibitor and sponsorign organization are responsible for the installation, removal, labeling, signage, logistics, publicity, and cost of exhibit. Exhibitor and sponsoring organization must provide their own equipment and volunteers for installation/dismounting. The library is not responsible for installing/dismounting exhibits.
- Exhibitors will meet with the Librar Gallery Coordinator before installation to go over the installation instructions and delivery procedures.
- Arrangements to park at the Library’s east side loading dock should be arranged through the Library Gallery Coordinator. When loading/unloading artworks at the loading dock, use only one bay and do not impede traffic flow.
- Installation/dismounting should be arranged with the Library Gallery Coordinator after the exhibit proposal has been approved.
- Exhibitors and/or the sponsoring organization will pay any special costs incurred in mounting the exhibit, including the repair of any damage to the building or library property caused in the installation or removal of the exhibit. Exhibit labels and signage should be placed on the artwork and never on the library walls. No glue, duct tape, or heavy tape is allowed on walls, wood banisters, or glass.
- Exhibits must not create a physical hazard or impede regular library use. The library does not have adequate space to store packing boxes or artwork that has been left behind. Exhibitors and the sponsoring organization will be notified if any artwork has been left behind. If artwork is not picked up or special arrangements made, artwork will be moved to the loading dock for disposal.
- Any movement of library soft-seating or exhibit display cases must be arranged with the Library Gallery Coordinator prior to exhibit installation. No tables or study-carrels should be moved or used to display exhibit artwork without express permission of the Library Gallery Coordinator. The Library has limited electrical connectivity in our exhibit spaces. Furniture must be returned to its original location at the conclusion of the exhibit.
Security and insurance
- Gallery displays are afforded the same security protection as that of other library materials. Any additional security desired must be arranged and paid for by the exhibitor.
- University insurance does not cover exhibit materials that are for sale. Items for sale must be accompanied by a Certificate of Insurance naming ASU, ASU Board of Regents and State of Arizona as additional insured.
- Art Exhibits on Loan to the University are insured through ADOA State Risk Management provided a written agreement is in place. The agreement must be signed by the exhibitor and an ASU representative with signature authority in accordance with Purchasing and Business Services Policy and Procedure PUR 202. The University Librarian, West campus Vice President, and Provost have signature authority.
The written agreement must contain the following:
- Transportation responsibilities;
- A valuation of the art (copy must be provided to ASU Insurance Services);
- A statement of understanding that the art shall not be exhibited for sale purposes.
- If an exhibitor wishes to display his/her works as a sales promotion, ASU will not assume any responsibility for the exhibit. The exhibitor will be required to provide ASU with a certificate of insurance with the limits of coverage described in the Certificate Issued to ASU by a Non-State Entity Section.
Receptions are available only under special approval by the Library Gallery Coordinator and Library Manager. Requests must be included with the initial Exhibit Proposal Form.
- The library reception area consists of the third floor atrium area. Use of the library for reception(s) held in conjunction with an exhibit requires the exhibitor to fill out the Request for Use of the Library for Reception section listed on the Exhibit Proposal Form.
- Publicity, all arrangements and cost of reception(s) are the responsibility of the exhibitor and/or the sponsoring organization.
- If providing food and beverages, the sponsoring organization must contact the campus catering service for catering information. (Aramark is located on the first floor of the University Center Building (UCB) Phone: 602-543-3662. Cost incurred is the responsibility of the sponsoring organization. http://sundevildining.asu.edu/catering
- Public visitor parking is located on the North side of the campus in Lot 12. The rate per hour is $2. For additional information visit the Parking and Transit website.
- No music or microphones are allowed, since the library promotes an environment free from disruptive noise so students can study.
- A reception contact name and phone number must be provided. If reception contact information changes, the exhibitor must notify the Library Gallery Coordinator.
If you have questions concerning exhibit procedures and guidelines please contact:
Casey Gipson, Library Gallery Coordinator - Fletcher Library (602) 543-8546
Should these procedures and guidelines need further definition or should exceptions be requested, the Director of Fletcher Library will exercise final authority regarding interpretation and/or implementation.