Are you interested in working at the most innovative university in the country?
Ranked #1 for innovation two years in a row by U.S. News and World Report, Arizona State University has become the foundational model for a new paradigm for public higher education – committed to access, excellence and impact – and is now actively engaged in building a new library for the 21st century. ASU Library, serving as a critical gateway to ASU’s growing research and knowledge enterprise, works to collaborate, educate and innovate across disciplines, communities and technologies, while leveraging key research and learning opportunities that are unique to ASU.
ASU Library is seeking a highly motivated, knowledgeable instruction professional to lead the ASU Library Engagement & Learning Services student success team. The successful candidate will enjoy teaching and engaging with students, collaborating with campus and off-campus communities that support student recruitment and student success efforts, and providing a high quality face-to-face or online reference experience. The primary goals include contributing to enrollment completion of pre-freshmen and recruitment of prospective students; retention of freshmen, international and transfer students; and persistence of undergraduate students.
A key focus of the position is to lead instruction and engagement initiatives with academic and non-academic programs and offices that support student recruitment and success through ASU events, workshops, orientations and K-12 focused efforts. Specific areas include teaching research and information literacy skills to lower division students in the ASU general curriculum. The selected candidate will develop library staff training that emphasizes ASU values; respond to faculty requests for in-person library instruction; participate in the creation and maintenance of sustainable online learning modules/tutorials; create programming for currently enrolled targeted students, e.g., international students, veterans, first generation, users of disability services; and train and supervise learning services staff and students.
ASU Library is a strong supporter of student success and a critical partner in realizing the New American University mission of access, excellence and impact. Success at ASU is measured not by whom we exclude, but rather by whom we include and how they succeed.
A center of energy, imagination and innovation, ASU Library is home to nine library facilities across five ASU campus locations – providing students and faculty access to millions of information resources, world-class collections, outstanding study spaces, advanced data centers and a suite of makerspaces and creative services. More information about the library can be found at lib.asu.edu.
- Master’s degree in Library Sciences from an ALA accredited program.
- A strong and visible personal and professional commitment to diversity and inclusion as a means to support institutional excellence.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of pedagogical practices, instructional design, and assessment of student learning outcomes in general education.
- Experience providing library instruction and student engagement activities.
- Experience providing research assistance with general reference resources both in print and electronic formats.
- Evidence of the ability to engage in research, publication, and service consonant with University and Libraries’ guidelines for continuing appointment and promotion.
- Experience using active and experiential learning methods in a higher education setting.
- Experience providing instruction using primary sources.
- Familiarity with LibGuides software and other web discovery tools.
- Experience designing learning objects such as tutorials and videos.
- Familiarity with course management software.
- Experience leading and working in a team environment.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively in a diverse academic community.
Salary and Rank: This is a continuing appointment track academic professional position; Assistant/Associate Librarian, Rank and salary dependent upon experience.
Application Procedures: Application packet consists of a cover letter, comprehensive vita or resume, and names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of 3 recent professional references. The application should be sent as a single (one) complete electronic file to Lillie Johnson, Lillie.Johnson@asu.edu. Questions about the position and search should be directed to Tomalee Doan, Associate University Librarian for Public Services, Tomalee.Doan@asu.edu.
Application Deadline: Application deadline is July 24, 2017; applications will be reviewed weekly thereafter until the search is closed.
Other Information: Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States. A background check is required for employment. For more information regarding ASU and the visit our web site: www.asu.edu. For the Tempe and/or Phoenix area, please visit www.visitarizona.com.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Women and minorities are welcomed and encouraged to apply.