Drawings and Papers: 1930s-1980s
Kemper Goodwin was born in Tempe, Arizona on April 28, 1906. He received his architectural training at the University of Southern California and was licensed to practice in Arizona in 1931. After several years of working for a firm in Phoenix, he established his own practice in Tempe in 1945. Over the next thirty years his architectural firm, which eventually expanded to 40 employees, became one of the most successful in the state. Specializing in educational facilities, Kemper Goodwin is often recognized for having set the design standard for this type of building in the state. Prominent among his more than 200 public educational buildings in Arizona, were those designed for Arizona State University. The Memorial Union, Wilson Hall, and Mathematics Building represent a few of the more notable Goodwin buildings on campus. Joined by his son Michael in 1967, Kemper Goodwin continued to practice architecture until 1975 when he retired. He died December 24, 1997.
The collection consists of drawings, specifications, and job files with extensive correspondence about the numerous projects undertaken by Kemper and Michael Goodwin.