Reserve Services Guidelines
Reserve Services is designed to provide controlled, ready access to items that are required ASU course readings.
To place materials on reserve, please use the online form. Paper forms are also available at any of the ASU Library Information & Check Out Desks.
Materials eligible for reserve:
- Library owned materials
- Instructor owned materials
- Articles, book excerpts, & off-air recordings if copyright compliant.
- Course readers with copyright permission statement included.
Materials not eligible for reserve:
- Current or bound library owned journals
- Reference* and Special Collections materials
- Interlibrary Loan materials
- Duplicated copies of video recordings
- Class lecture recordings
Restrict list to required readings only, including items that need to be recalled or ordered. Faculty submitting lengthy lists may be asked to re-evaluate the need for each item. If a specific item is requested for Reserve in two libraries, it will be placed in the library which received the earliest request.
All materials will be removed from Reserve at the end of the semester/course session, unless Reserve staff has been notified of a continuing need. Instructor owned materials that are not picked up at the end of the semester/course session will be placed in Lost and Found or donated to the Library. All materials must be removed from Reserve if an instructor is off campus due to sabbaticals, leaves of absences, etc.
All materials are processed in the order received and must be processed onto reserve before they become available for checkout. Check online to verify that your course list has been processed. To avoid delays, please submit course reserve materials three weeks prior to the start of the semester/course session.
*Some exceptions may apply. Contact Reserve staff with questions.
Library Owned Materials:
Reserve Staff will:
- Retrieve materials from the Library stacks
- Request materials from other ASU libraries
- Recall checked out materials
- Order materials not owned by the Library
Streaming Video Reserve Guidleines
Streaming Video is a part of the ASU Library Reserve Service. It is intended for use by instructors utilizing the Course Reserve service in support of their curriculum. Guidelines for streaming video
Instructor Owned Materials:
The Library is not responsible for damage or loss of personal books, media, etc. while they are in use on Reserve.
Processing will include:
- Clear tape on face and/or spine of book
- Call number label
- Barcode label
- Reserve loan period tape
Electronic Reserve Materials:
Electronic Reserve materials submission requirements:
- Conformance with Fair Use interpretation of Copyright Law
- Provide a PDF or clean hard copy on 8½ X 11 paper
- Include source information (title, author, publisher, & year)
Circumstances that may affect availability:
- Material cannot be located on shelf
- Recalled item is not returned
- Vendor availability for orders
- Materials did not meet Fair Use Guidelines